Ministry and Faith
Ministry & Faith
Saint Lawrence Elementary and Middle School seeks to strengthen each student’s relationship with God and their community. We offer a variety of opportunities for prayer, worship, reflection, sacramental participation to allow students both an individual and communal practice of their faith. We invite and encourage participation by all out students, Catholic and non-Catholic, and welcome families to our liturgical celebrations.
- Every morning the elementary school gathers on the blacktop for morning prayer
- A prayer bell rings at 10:19 am each day. The whole school community pauses for 1 minute of prayer together
- All classes pray before lunch and before dismissal at the end of the day
- Sports teams pray together before games
- Faculty meetings begin with prayer
- School gatherings (meetings, events, info nights, etc.) begin with prayer
- Students attend mass every Wednesday at the 8:30a with the parishioners
- Sunday school-sponsored masses occur three times per year
- All Masses are open to family members to attend
- Students and their families are encouraged to attend Sunday Mass each week
Altar Server & Communion Ministers
- Altar servers display a desire to participate in a more intimate way during the Eucharistic celebration. They assist the priests with attention, dignity, and reverence. Proper server etiquette and tasks are taught through training. Altar Servers must have been baptized, have celebrated First Eucharist, and be at least in the 4th grade.
- Confirmed Catholics can participate in the Mass as Communion Ministers.
- For those interested, please contact the church office at 408-296-3000.
Retreats (Middle School)
- 6th Graders spend one week each year at Science Camp which teaches them the values of stewardship and respect for God’s creation. Visit http://www.caritascreek.org/ for more information on this program. Teachers and select parents attend the retreat.
- 7th Graders head to Mount Hermon for their retreat where they experience the value of community and prayer as they challenge themselves on the Ropes Course and for team-building
- 8th Graders return to Mount Hermon for an overnight retreat to strengthen their understanding of self and community while fortifying their faith.
Youth Ministry (Middle School)
- Saint Lawrence formed a Youth Ministry Group that meets on certain lunches during the school year. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This Sacrament is part of the school’s second grade religion curriculum. We respect that parents are their children’s primary spiritual role models and our program is designed to support their efforts through special parent meetings.
All 2nd graders are invited to receive the Sacrament of Penance. They prepare for this Sacrament with their parents and teacher and receive Reconciliation prior to First Holy Communion. Students in 3rd through 8th grade participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Advent and Lent.